Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Friday, September 11, 2015

Hi it's been a week.

I have managed to make it through this week of classes.
We were off on Monday for Labor Day, which was good considering something bit my feet (again) and they swelled up and I couldn't walk on them until Tuesday.
(Such a wreck.)
I had my doctor's appointment on Tuesday. I also showed her my bites and she was pretty shocked by them. She said if it happens again--especially before Nutcracker Auditions on Saturday--to just walk in and they'd be able to give me antibiotics and a steroid shot to help.
I like this lady already.

Tuesdays class went really well, I felt. My feet held up and my knee wasn't too bad and my stomach was typical.

Wednesday I had been asked to sub two classes. A 4/5 ballet and a 9-12 ballet.
The 4/5 ballet felt like madness, but mainly because there were so many girls. They were pretty rambunctious and my music decided it didn't want to work. I made it work though, and got through, and the kids seemed happy.
The 9-12 ballet was my favorite by a long shot.
I walk in and half the class was girls who were monkey's in Oz. I opened the door, they saw me, and their faces lit up and they ran over to me to hug me. Talk about making me feel like I'm Taylor Swift. My teacher's daughter was in that class as well. She's a quiet type, but so incredibly sweet and kind, and seeing her face get excited when I walked completely made my day. I love this little nugget!
I worked them pretty hard, and they kept up really well. I saw them implementing corrections and really trying hard. They're such a serious bunch, which is great. I made my typical sound effects and stuff, which made them laugh so that was great. (hehe)
One of the girls I didn't know, Mona, really shows potential. To say I was impressed is an understatement.
At the end of class, I had them working on pirouettes. Just simple, from fourth, across the floor. I did it with them and by the end of it, man, I was landing beautiful turns. And my knee didn't hurt. And life felt great.
They were rock stars and did so great in class. I love them.
Mrs. Alex told me she asked Elizabeth what she thought of class. "She makes funny faces and funny sounds, but I like her!" Score!
Next I helped assist Mia's class for one of the other girls who couldn't make it. She ended up only having 6 girls and it was a 3/4 class, but I was glad to do it because I had never seen a 3/4 class. They do it very differently from how we did it at Instep, but it works really well for them. I want to try and implement more of those styles when I teach that level, so I'm trying to remember the format she used. The girls stayed quiet and followed along, and it was just great. (Probably helped that there were only 6 kids.)

By the end of that, I'm dead. That morning had not been kind to me and the repercussions were still evident.
But I still had my own class to get through. And my last one before auditions, at that.
I warned Mrs. Alex about it beforehand, just in case. And I was kinda scared at this point. I felt faint and nauseated and weak. Just standing up left me dizzy and my vision fading. How did I expect to make it through ballet class?
Still, I did the 200 crunches she had us do. (Most I've ever done. And I was so sick. How. I don't know. I'm just. What.)
We did the barre work, and I felt my brain starting to space. Thankfully, I had Emerson in front of me for the left side. It was a good little buffer having her in front of me so if my brain lagged, but body did it anyway.
A few of the things got me twisted up, which Mrs. Alex saw once when she complimented me right as I messed up. It was pretty funny though, and I think it actually happened twice. She was watching me, though. Which was great. And it all felt great. I remember standing there thinking, "why can't I just be well? Why does this have to be a struggle? It doesn't have to be."
We put on our pointe shoes, and I joined with the premise that I needed to work on turns before Saturday.
By this point, I felt like I could fall over at any moment. And not even because my muscles were worked or whatever. It wasn't a matter of laziness, but of my body just giving out on me.
Still, the first combination we did across the floor brought improvement. I learned and grew and was able to do more than usual. The second combination included turns, and my right side (which has my good knee) is actually looking better. Enough to feel okay going into Saturday. My left side is still weak, but at least I know what is holding it back. I can take the steps to improve on it. (And hopefully we won't do that side at auditions. Fingers crossed.)
After that, I sat out. I told Mrs. Alex, and she made the comment that I was doing really well. I said, "imagine how good I'd be if I wasn't sick." without even realizing I was saying it. But I mean, really.

Mrs. Rowland made a comment about how she doesn't know how I do it--how I push through. The way I see it is that I don't have a choice. If I don't push through, I'll never get any farther than I am right now. What it comes down to is this is going to be a process to try and find a solution. It's been a long term problem and it won't be resolved over night. I don't have any more time to waste so I can either sit it out when I don't feel well and never do anything because I never feel well, or I can fight through it and just know on the worse days I may have to hold back a little.
I'm hoping I can start to feel better and soon. I'm hoping this won't be forever, even though it's all I ever remember feeling anymore. I'm hoping that maybe there's hope. But until then, I'll push through until I can't anymore. I'll do my best and leave no excuses.

I still forget that most people don't know I'm sick, and those that do are pretty new to the knowledge. It's nice to know that I'm doing my best and that my best is more than enough. Ballet has been rejuvenating for me in my life, showing me that I'm not all the things people have told me I am--weak, lazy, making excuses, dramatic, faking it, etc. That this really is something I should take care with and give myself the room for humanity that I need.

I have found myself in a beautiful place among such supportive people. Sure, no one is perfect, but this has been the greatest bit of humanity I have ever experienced. And for that I am grateful beyond words.

And now, enjoy an old picture of Cheyanne from before I knew her.
I creeped this shot after class one day because there was just something about her that just stood out and I couldn't not document it. Now she's one of my dearest friends :)


No comments:

Post a Comment