Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Take 5

We've been on a 2 week break from dance class
And I fear I will go crazy.

It's amazing the difference it has in my deeper life, rather than just the boost it gives me with movement.
It's as if there is this little person that lives inside of me. And it's full of thoughts and ideas and commentary for everything I do (recently, it's resembled the Olympic commentators...) and it constantly feeding my brain. This little minion in my head can be wonderful and encouraging or it can turn on me in an instant and reduce me to tears and worthlessness.
Dance puts him in place.
It challenges his ideas, exposes his lies, and seems to give him kinder things to throw in my head.

The difference 2 weeks can make is astounding.
But I've been able to notice and--on good days--separate the truth from lies.
Honestly, I didn't expect that.

Starting next week, I'll be taking two classes a week instead of just one.
My dance teacher said that to even be considered for pointe, this is what I need to do. So I took a big step and put my foot down at work and told them it was something I had to do.
I'm really excited.
I know my schedule is gonna be insane, but I'm excited to be able to do this.
I love my studio.
I love my teacher.
I love my classmates.
I love knowing that I'm going to get to do twice as much as I have before. And will, ultimately, be learning and solidifying things twice as fast.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment