Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Monday, February 1, 2016

Retrospect

Yesterday, a friend I've known since Instep made a comment.
She said she was talking to a girl who was part of her dance group at the local university (I took pictures of them back when they were still in school) around Nutcracker and how impressed she was when she told her I was the Rat Queen.
You see, these girls knew me when I was first starting out.
They were in those classes where everything was hard and I was struggling.
To hear that she saw the improvement and was impressed, and even proud, made me feel so good.

I was looking at my blog today, and saw how they auto-filter spam comments, so decided to look through and see if anything exciting showed up.
Turns out I had a new comment from a post in September that I had somehow missed.

And the timing couldn't have been more perfect.
I went back to the post and re-read it. Of course, it was the one where I really stopped to remember how far I had come in the last four years. As much as I hate to accept that this is only as far as I am, I can't let myself believe that this is nothing.
I was really quite terrible in the beginning, but I kept working on it, and never gave up even when I really wanted to. Something in me wouldn't let me throw in the towel.

And here I am, finding myself in one of those situations again where throwing in the towel seems easier--less embarrassing.

I couldn't let myself if I tried.

Even with the thought of "I should just quit," there is a fear in the back of my mind of the day that will inevitably come when I have to hang up my pointe shoes and stop dancing. I don't want that day to come. I don't want to just work and go home. I don't want to ever not have a studio to go to.
I don't want to stop dancing.

When favor falls on the opposite side of my fence, and when the bar is just a bit too far from my reach, I have to keep myself going. I'm more than a role or a label or a certain level.

I dance for me.

And really, thank you, dear readers, for your comments of encouragement. They do more for me than I could ever express.


Since I couldn't find the first picture, here's a side-by-side of my attitude in September 2014 versus July 2015.


No comments:

Post a Comment