Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Thoughts.

Yesterday's advanced class was...something.
It wasn't bad, it was just super crowded (we were only missing one person. That never happens.) and there were some complex things given to us, and that's when Ms. Munro thought it would be a great time to watch us all. I feel this innate pressure to prove myself, and having her watching made me so nervous. I felt like it was just screaming that I didn't belong there.
I shook it off. It is what it is.

The good thing about classes this week, is that they are challenging me and really helping me push out of my comfort zone and work the areas that I really need help in. So that's been nice.

Downside, the Gaynor's flopped so I'm back to square one.
Although, I believe the main root of my problem is the lack of strength in my hips (I struggle to maintain turnout on one leg) and the fact that I've been sick for so long, hesitating on engaging my core has sadly become second nature. Learning to push out of that, while not pushing too hard--it's a struggle.

After class, I was able to go in the small studio with Adrienne and show her what we learned in Swan rehearsal Saturday so she'd be ready this weekend. She picked it up pretty well, which is great. She took pictures of my notes after so that way if she forgot something, she could reference it.
When I got home, I was trying to mentally prepare myself for not dancing that part this weekend. To open my mind to the fact that I'd be at a different place in line, a different place in formations, following different people and at some points doing different steps. Thinking about it beforehand helps me remain calm and open in the situation itself.
As I did, I thought about who all I know will be out and has asked me to learn their part. Abarrane will be late this weekend, which is good cause she's opposite Adrienne. The next weekend, Jessica is out, which isn't too far from what I've learned since she's next to Adrienne in formations. She said she'd teach me their different part this Saturday. Lauren will be out for drill team two weeks, so I need to learn her part as well, but she isn't too too different either, since she's in that same last section.

I realized after this month, covering just these people, I'll know every part. At least for what we've learned so far.

How cool is that?
All Adrienne has to concern herself with is her part; what I've shown her and what she'll learn moving forward. She won't learn what I learn; at least she isn't required to.

So even though I may learn all of this and not get to dance the role, it's pretty cool that I will essentially know this part better than anyone else. And should the need arise, be there to step in in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment