Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Discipline.

I think nowadays, people don't learn what discipline really is.
Most people, that is. Some do.

In class, I find myself challenged a lot. And there's plenty of times I can make excuses.
"I can't do this on the right side because of my knee"
"I feel nauseous, maybe I shouldn't go to class"
"I'm not as good as them, so I'm just gonna keep it low key so they don't see me struggle as I try."
"Um. I can't even say that. It looks like a complicated prance. Maybe I shouldn't try it today."

And I tell myself.
"SHUT UP AND DANCE."

If all I do is make excuses, then I'm never going to get anywhere. I'm never going to reach my goal.
The least I can do is try.
If it hurts, then I know.
If I can't do it now, I can't do it.
If I'm not as good as them, at least I'm on my way.
If I don't feel good, I can always leave when I've had enough.

I'm never going to get anywhere with excuses.

Same with life.
Mine has been all over the place and really inconsistent.

I can make all the excuses in the world.
"I can't eat better until I have my own place."
"I'm not gonna cook, I don't like feeling watched."
"I don't have time"
"I have too much to do."
"I can't do this until *insert excuse here* happens."
And then whine about all the weight I've gained and how nothing has changed.

If I want there to be progress in my life, I have to first start.
I have to do what I can. I have to meet fate halfway.
At least.
I have to do something.
Something is better than nothing.

So I'm stuck in a building I can't leave for 12 straight hours.
I can't go to the gym, I can't go walking, but there are activities I can do here.
I don't have to get fast food because it's easy. I can get premade sandwiches and salads and stuff that's fresh and fairly healthy. Better than grease.

Pointe is, I can stop making excuses and start making progress.

(see what I did there?)

No comments:

Post a Comment