Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Friday, August 30, 2013

The mind is powerful.

Jilissa often tells us, "The mind is more powerful than the body."
Usually in the fact that our body will tell us we can't do any more, but if we set our minds that we can, we will.
Yesterday, she took a slightly different approach.
We were doing a new move that I don't remember the name of. It involves brushing through with the back foot, beating to the front, and closing in the back; all in one smooth movement. What we were doing was turning in our standing leg when we tried to brush the working leg. She asked us why. I answered without thinking, "because it feels like it's in the way." Normally, I wouldn't answer. I wouldn't want to look stupid. But I said it before I could think, and wouldn't you know, it was the right answer for the analogy.
Our mind thinks our foot is in the way, when it really isn't, so our mind is trying to tell us that we can't do this move, or that it isn't correct. That's not the case.
We have to retrain our mind so that we can properly execute this move. We have to remind ourselves of what we know is true, even when it seems like it's not right.

The first thing I thought of when she said this?
Romans 12:2
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

Renew your mind.
Remind yourself of what is true, even when what's around you is lies. very convincing lies.
Prove yourself wrong.
Just because you think it doesn't mean it's concrete.
Find what is. Remind yourself of that.
Don't let go of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment