Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Monday, February 16, 2015

Winkie Guards Rehearsal

Saturday was our second rehearsal for the Winkie Guards role in Wizard of Oz.
I realized this weekend that being in this role, we will be on stage almost the entire second act of the show. There are five scenes in Act II and we are in four of them.
This is incredibly exciting.

One of the girls made the comment that she was offended that we weren't dancing on pointe.
I kind of laughed at the notion of it being offensive, but I also think I am viewing this from a different mindset than someone who has grown up in this studio and thinks in the hierarchy of things. And also, whose friends are in roles that dance on pointe.
I see it from the mindset of the shape of the show as a whole.
Winkie Guards doesn't need to be on pointe. If anything it's more of a contemporary role than a strict ballet one. We're wearing jazz shoes. It just makes sense. Maybe it's the theater brain in me.
I tried to explain this to her, that it's nothing to be offended at because they didn't decide this based on our ability. They decided roles based on height, took into minor consideration our levels, and what shape the scenes would make.

We learned our entire first and second scenes. I think they are very fun. Our next rehearsal will include the Wicked Witch of the West, which means that my friend who plays the witch will be there, and also my friend from class who is the cover.

The Winged Monkies are adorable, and each of us are assigned one that we kind of buddy up to. Mine ended up being my friend from my old studio, who ironically was out that day. I don't know if Julie did it on purpose or what, but I'm excited.

We also have a Crows rehearsal on Friday, with Coco the Crow as well. The girl whose spot I covered last time won't be here this time either. So we'll teach the other girl who was absent this week, and then will have to teach the other girl the next rehearsal, which I think is when we're getting more into it and adding more of the characters together. It's not hard, it's just fast. I hope she can pick up on it.

We'll see what happens.
I'm excited to have more people in with us, but sad that I won't get to take as many pictures this time around. I'm going to try and see if I can get someone to come and shoot a rehearsal, but I don't know. I wish I could clone myself.

It just kinda sucks to be the one taking all the pictures, although it's awesome to be able to give them to the other dancers, it sucks that the parts your in get overlooked.

I need a clone.

No comments:

Post a Comment