Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Recital

I really want to write this post, but I'm finding myself a little cloudy in the mind. I first noticed it last night, and woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck, so I'm going to attempt to write this out but if it's a little off, forgive me.

Last night was the second day of our annual recital. My first one at this new studio. I only danced on the Saturday, but I helped with the Friday show. Ms. Munro put me in charge of the Rehearsal Hall, where all the younger dancers were gathered. (I got a walkie talkie! And a clipboard!) She thought I had done recitals with them before. I told her I hadn't, but if she told me what she wanted I could do it. It ended up being fairly simple, at least my part. The other volunteers (mostly from one of the local high schools) did a lot of the brunt work. (organizing little kids is a lot like herding cats.) Their effectiveness made my job easy.
Friday was the bigger day, although Saturday had a dance of 5-ish year olds with 30 kids.
30.
To keep in order down three flights of stairs and quiet backstage.
And they were only one of 5 groups in the room.
These girls deserve awards.

I missed seeing my favorite dance on Saturday, but had gotten to see it Friday and at rehearsal on Thursday.
I almost rolled my ankle before the show, but managed to not. My shanks are starting to die. Apparently there's a way to duct tape them to help them last longer, but I need to look into this still.

We danced and it went really well. I was actually the one that was off on the lines out of everybody. Oops. Cloudy brain hit me hard. But Mom said no one could really tell, and she couldn't tell at all, so that's good at least.
The dance felt really good. I was sad that I couldn't be with my girls in the dressing room before hand, but I was really proud of all of them. They did so great. Not just in our dance, either.
One of my favorite things of the whole recital was being side stage, watching some of my babies (and of course taking pictures.) some of them would see me, and we'd lock eyes, and you'd see their faces just beam. It makes you feel good to know you make someone else feel good.

I would say the recital was a success.
The lady who works for the building where we dance and guards the stage entrance door, Pat, was there working the recital shows. We saw her a few times during Oz, but I was glad to have her every day of recital. She is a naturally kind person, I love her. Last night she had a program, and she marked certain dances she wanted to sneak backstage to watch. How sweet, right? She was so encouraging and blown away. She told me afterwards, "That was so beautiful! Like a real ballet!" I got a picture with her, and gave her the extra flower crown we had from our dance. She is such a gem.

Elizabeth also got to sneak backstage and watch us, which was really great. She helps with quick changes and didn't think she'd be able to see us, but she got to. It really means a lot to me. I know I'm not the only one she loves in the dance, but to have her be so supportive and encouraging and just so lovely is something I cherish. I mean, people are usually nice to me, but nothing like this. And she doesn't have to be, ya know? She's just naturally lovely.

I'm really grateful to have my Instep crew at this studio. Andie, Annika, Hanna and some of the younger girls have really rounded out this experience. I love seeing them all thrive and succeed and display these beautiful works of art through movement. I couldn't be more proud of them, and I'm completely honored to call them my friends.

I miss my girls already. Not all of them are taking summer classes. One is moving away and this was her last performance with us. It definitely won't be the same without her next year, but I am excited for her new opportunities.

My mom somehow misplaced their recital tickets before the show yesterday. I text Andie to see if she thought Ms. Nancy would be able to help me out or if my parents would have to buy new ones. She said Ms. Nancy would definitely help me out, so I found her when I got to the theatre and told her what was going down. She went with me to the ticket lady, and even gave me one for my sister for free. She also asked me if I was doing summer classes. I told her I was taking the evening ones since I work during the day. She told me that they wanted to compensate me for all my help this weekend, and so to go ahead and register online, but when it came to payment I wouldn't have to worry about it. I wanted to cry, it was too good to be true. Summer classes are kind of steep and I really wasn't sure how I would pay for it. But I wanted to be there so I figured I'd worry about it when the time came. Now I don't have to worry about it at all. It's especially nice since I've been getting kind of beat up on the work-front. This makes a big difference. Even though things at work aren't in my favor, it's nice to know other things are that kind of make up the difference. I'm extremely grateful.

My parents came to the show (sister stayed home) and really enjoyed the VIP Parking I had ended up with (Thanks, Mrs. Alex!) for the night. Parking is one of the number one concerns for these shows, so I was hopeful having the stress-free VIP option would help. It really did.
They stayed for the entire show, and even waited to meet me afterwards. When they did, they told me how much they really enjoyed it, and it was genuine. They told me they were so proud of me, and that I did really well. Mom even said, "You looked like a real ballerina up there!"
So even though I didn't get the opportunity to prove myself in two classes at my old studio, I still proved myself. It felt really good.
I followed my dream for me, and now they see why. They see that I love it.

My friends from Instep, McKenna and Cambrielle, (and mom!) came to see the show, as well! I had no idea, and actually saw them downstairs when I had one shoe off, but I took off down the stairs to see them anyway. It really meant the world to have them there. They were two people that were absolutely pivotal in my story when I first began this road. McKenna would see the panic on my face and meet me in the corner to do the combination with me when I panicked. We also used to teach baby classes together the last year. It's so great whenever the people you love support what you love. I can't express how much it means.

This was a wonderful way to cap off the end of the season. I'm sad it's over, but I'm so grateful it happened.
It's amazing to see how far we have come in just a year.
I can't wait to see where we go from here. Especially Annika. That girl has a bright future ahead.
If I get emotional seeing my dance babies grow and succeed, I'm screwed for when I have my own kids. I'm gonna be a mess.!

It was really cool to have some of the other dancer's moms (and little sisters) come up to me after the show and tell me how great I did. And to know it wasn't just them being nice, but that they meant it. That they see improvement in me from the beginning of the year. And to have some of my babies who didn't dance Saturday come out just to see us and support us, it's really good for the soul.

This is what I'm alive for. This makes all the trouble and stress of life worth pushing through. Loving people and being loved by people.

My heart is full.


My cousin, Lauren, and I


Cambielle, me, and McKenna


Mom and Dad


Mrs. Pat :)


Shrub


Hanna B :)


Cousin and I againnnn :D


Elizabeth and I :D



Sweet Jasmine


Emerson! 


Feetsies


Catherine, my tiny dancer


watching the V's 
Or maybe advanced? I don't remember which class they are


Lauren



Shruuuub


Lucy!


Alyssa with some of the 30 of the babies


I taught that one in the back at Instep. She doesn't remember... haha

No comments:

Post a Comment