Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Monday, May 4, 2015

Your happiness is yours.

"Are you still on that high?"
My teacher asked me when she saw me today.
I simply said, "Mostly!" to avoid bringing up the thing that had wavered the high slightly.
I knew she knew. I don't know if she knew I knew.
Regardless, everyone within earshot had no business knowing, so I played it off.

For some reason, I'm a naturally fearful person. I don't think that I live in fear, per say, but I do tend to think worst-case-scenario and when something happens in which I'm wrongly accused, it tends to shake me up and make me nervous.

Usually I get really anxious or have panic attacks, but this time is different.
This time I'm able to understand where the issue is, where I play into it, and that it truly isn't my fault. If the others involved don't see that, this doesn't mean it's because of anything I've done wrong.
"I am responsible for my actions, not people's reactions."

I've learned to face what you're afraid of. To play Taylor Swift and Uptown Funk as much as you need to calm yourself down and distract yourself.
I learned that there's no reason to be afraid of it if you've done nothing wrong, but even so it doesn't mean that bad things won't happen to you. It also doesn't mean that when bad things happen to you they're automatically your fault.
There's only so much you can do.
Do what you can, and let it ride out.

But don't let it steal the good things from you.
These experiences, these great memories, these beautiful things are yours, even if it makes someone else mad. It doesn't negate that you are deserving of good things.
Don't shield your light just because someone gets mad that it's in their eyes.
(ooo, that's good... where did that come from? I dunno. But I'm takin' it.)

Moral of the story, I have such incredible people in my life, and I have found myself amongst a wonderful dance family. I can't think of a time I've ever been happier or felt more loved.
Typically when something good happens to me, somehow by the next day I look back on it and feel a deep remorse. I don't know why.
But this time, I think back to Saturday, and all I have is joy inside.
I see this certificate, the drawing from my munchkins, the pictures...I read the comments and texts from friends, and my heart explodes all over again.

I feel confident that if I were to die tomorrow, I will not have left any moment uncaptured. I've made the most of these days, and I hope to have more to fill like these have been.
These are my "good ol' days" and they are good indeed.

Today was our last Monday class.
I can't believe that it's been an entire year already...
We took some pictures :)





I love these girls so much!
Rebecca got cut out of the one... :( But they're still great!

No comments:

Post a Comment