Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Swan Lake Casting

I'm not a swan.
I'm cast, but I'm not anything exciting or impressive.
I have many thoughts and feelings towards this, mostly of disappointment and confusion. But I'm trying to put those to the side for this post. (As "Fight Song" decides to come on my Pandora)
I'll make the most of it, like I do every time. I am the cover for the swans, along with a few other girls, but there's no guarantee anything will come of that.
I talked to Mrs. Alex about it after class. I asked her what I could have done better. She said it's just a really intense show with a bunch of pointe work and they really struggled with casting. That my name was heavily debated and thought over. She said she knows nothing she says can really help.
I just want understanding, ya know?
I thought I had proved myself with Oz, and with Nutcracker this year. I thought my hard work in class was being seen. I thought the fact they asked me to come to VI's meant they saw me. And she said they did. She said they see how much I've improved and how hard I work. I just don't understand.

But it is what it is. What can we do about it now? Nothing.
Take my roles and do the best possible in them.
I'm struggling personally because I let myself get hopeful. I let myself believe my friends when they said I did well and I had it in the bag. Mrs. Alex even said I auditioned well, that she was impressed. She said she saw my en dedan turn when I did do it.
I just wasn't enough.
And everyone tells me there's always next time.
Except I don't know if there is.
I mean, technically we never know. None of us. But really, I'm not getting any younger. There's only so many things my body will let me do, and time isn't kind. I'll never see Swan Lake again in my dancing days.
Next year I'll get Lilac and Snow, because it's the next in line. It's not a challenge. It's not anything that will take more effort than is expected, or whatever.
I just don't understand.

I honestly feel like I'm grieving. The loss of this role and this dream. The realization that I'll realistically never reach some of the things I strive for, that my heart longs for.
Not everything is attainable, no matter how hard you work and try.
And you have to find a way to be okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment