Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Small Studio

I may have mentioned before, but on Tuesdays--now that I stay through both hours of the VI's class--I noticed that the small studio was open while Julie had the advanced Jazz class in the big studio. I asked Ms. Munro if I could use it to work on things when no one was in it. She was all for it.
So yesterday, Adrienne and I utilized this opportunity last night to work on some things we had seen and also some things we had never truly been shown.
(I don't really want too many people to do this, because then it could become some kind of class, and therefore require payment for using the studio space. But having someone there to work with is beneficial.)

It was beneficial, too, because Ms. Munro kept popping in and out of the studio to get to the back storage closet, so we were able to ask her questions about the different steps we were working on, and she wanted to see our progress.

We worked on a tombe, coupe, jete step that neither of us had been taught. (Annika and Jessica had worked with me on showing it to me at Feast of Sharing, but I didn't really know it enough to do it in class when it was one of the things we worked on yesterday.) Ms. Munro explained what we should think about (it's one of her favorite steps) and a few pointers on it and let us go to town.
While working on this, I realized how terrible my jete's really are. But now that I know, I can make an effort to work towards getting them better. I think part of the issue is being afraid to plie on my longer leg, since I got so used to it piercing in pain. It has been improving, now that I stay away from grande plies and jumps (which sucks, but if it helps I'll do it.) (And also, I do them in pieces, so that's good) but it's still ingrained in me to be afraid. I have to break through that, and take the pain as it comes but not expect it.

Adrienne helped me tremendously on my chaine turns. I never properly learned them, and have trouble with spotting. We got substantial progress on these (Ms. M popped in and helped a bit as well) so now I don't look like a fool as much. Honestly, confidence is half the work. If you can go forward without second guessing, you're more likely to be successful. Now that I know what it's supposed to feel like, I feel like I can more confidently approach them. (I need to truly get the feel en pointe, though, cause we worked in flat shoes.)

Adrienne worked on really getting the hang of fouette turns. She really didn't have a struggle--the girl's a natural. She tried them and succeeded first try, and I was able to film it and show her how they looked. Now she just needs to get nit-picky like the rest. I'm really proud of her. She's really grown so much since I first met her. It's as though everything is clicking and she's really nailing these things. I'm especially glad we got the opportunity to work together yesterday. It helps to have someone there who will compliment you when you need it, and critique you when you need it.
And really, we all need to take a moment to remember where we started and how far we've come in such a short amount of time.
I may get critical of myself and see how far I have to go, but Adrienne pointed out to me how far I've come just since being at Munro's. We always have farther to go, more to learn, but we can't forget to remember the progress hard work has brought us through.

Keep working hard, and you'll get there.

(Oh. and we were working on the 6's recital yesterday. We had to change a bit of the placement, so I ended up in the front. I half-expected Julie to switch me with Jessica or Adrienne, who were next to me, but she didn't. In turn, I also ended up in a group of four with Annika, Alex, and Sean. WHAT IS LIFE. so, I really need to work on my jete's, because I have to do them after the two girls and I don't want to look like a derp. I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited to get this opportunity. I'm really hoping I can rise to the expectations, and beyond grateful that she's starting recital now so I can learn these things while I'm still here, before work takes over my life for a hot second.)

No comments:

Post a Comment