Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Progress and regress.

In our V's class yesterday, we did barre a little differently.
Typically, we do combinations that are quick or complex. Instead, Mrs. Alex had us do simple combinations with a lot of repetition. She had us focus on proper technique, rather than just trying to get through the combination and move on. I really enjoyed this approach, and I think we all benefited from it. It was great to take the time to really think about what we were doing and how we are to properly execute each movement.

I don't remember exactly what the entire combination was, but there was one where we ended in a low arabesque on releve. I tend to struggle with this kind of thing--once I'm on releve on one leg, my turn out goes out the window. But as I held this arabesque on my shorter, weaker leg, Mrs. Alex came by and said, "Good, Emilee! Great turn out on that standing leg, nice straight knees, good!"

I think I made a face, because I couldn't really believe she was actually saying these things to me. I looked down to see what it looked like, then tried to see it in the mirror. It felt right, but I didn't expect it to look that right. I wasn't really thinking specifically about achieving these things, as I usually do. I was shocked, and very pleased.

I got frustrated as we moved to the center and en dedan turns were there. I wanted to try them, but it just didn't work. I didn't know if I psyched myself out, or what. When we were going through, working on recital, there were a few moments when I was away from the others, so I tried them. Sure enough, I couldn't get up. So I held the barre and tried the preparation. Okay, I could do that. So I tried the preparation away from the barre. I can do that. I tried the turn, nope.
I'm not sure if it's because these shoes are already dead, or if it's something else, but the struggle is real. I put it on the back burner, knowing at least I can do the preparation and work on it from there, and that I'm getting around in my pirouettes now. Most of the time at least. They could still use work, but that's what class is for.
We did a few chaines, too, which weren't as good as I was hoping, but somewhat better than before.
I'll take it.

Cast lists should be out soon. I wish I could see it for myself without anyone telling me and no one watching me. This won't happen. So whatever. It's possible they could even come out today when I don't have class, so we'll see.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment