Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Monday, November 10, 2014

Hold on there, little Mirliton.

During rehearsal yesterday, we got to watch the tail end of the Mirliton rehearsal before us.
One of my friends from my old studio was cast in this role, and I was absolutely beaming with pride at how she is taking on these roles and thriving. Like, seriously, I'm beyond proud.
So anyway, I was watching them rehearse, and it seemed like Ms. Munro was only getting onto Annika. Granted, most of these girls have danced this role for years and years and years, and this is Annika's first time, so the poor girl has had her work cut out for her. But she takes the correction, and runs with it, and thrives, and *tears* so proud.
And the fact that she just turned 15 last week and new to this studio and already dancing soloist roles and keeping up with these girls that have done these roles for years blows my mind.
I had this thought process while watching Ms Munro correct her:
"You got this, Annika. Don't let it bother you. She picks on the ones that show promise."
Because, see, the other girls weren't perfect either. But she kept correcting Annika. Whether it is because she knows the other girls temperaments, (they're the ones late for class every week) or something else, she kept correcting Annika until she was perfect.
Because when she corrects her, she takes it, and does it.
Because she knows it'll make her a better dancer.
Because she knows she'll rise out of the sting of the correction and be better.

And it's like life.
It seems that all the best people have the most junk thrown at them.
It seems like the people who just couldn't care less are the ones doing alright.
Life picks on the ones that show promise.

Hold on, there, little Mirliton.
You'll be better for all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment