Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Be good people.

Just something I have noticed.

Being a petit fleur isn't particularly an "impressive" role.
It's not Clara or Sugar Plum, it's not Dew Drop or Snow Queen.
These are obvious.
But it's also not Russian or Arabian, or even Chinese. 
Which is kinda funny, because most of the time when people dance Chinese, they're a smidge bitter, considering you're only on stage for like a minute and a half maybe.
But what people neglect to see in that is that it's still a character role, and therefore still one that kids see as a favorite. It's funny and light-hearted and quite entertaining. That's what's remembered.
And this isn't the first time something like this has happened. It's not that people are trying to be rude, but it's just how it is. Bigger roles have bigger privileges. 

We did a meet and greet after Beeville last night. I sort of hung back a bit, which was opposite of last time, but more true to what is actually normal for me, if that makes sense. People were going up to the Sugar Plum and the Nutcracker, Arabian and Chinese, even some of the higher-ups flowers, but rarely to us. 
It was fun to get to step back and see the people meeting my friends; the way the kid's wide eyes lit up at the sight of them and the smiles on their faces when they got them to sign their program. 

When we were "backstage," (in the gym near the theatre, which had room for all of us) I saw one of our family friends with her daughter who was an angel. When they are at our house, Chloe never really speaks to me, but she was completely thrilled to see me backstage. We took pictures and I asked if she was excited and everything else. While we were there, different dancers would come up to me for a hug or a high five. This has become sort of normal to me, but it wasn't until Jennifer made a comment that I really realized it. 

They don't care if I'm some big-named role, although if I am they definitely celebrate it with me. All they care about is me. They celebrate my successes, whatever they are. They enjoy whatever my role is with me, as I do with them. Each and every role, no matter how big or small, is important to the production. It may not be flashy or impressive, but it matters. 

And that's what truly is important. Not only that you can dance, and dance well. Not just that you rise up in the ranks of the roles, but that you are a good person. 
Like our Sugar Plum from last night. Not only is she freaking talented and captivating, she's also such a kind person. She's honest and passionate, she's kind and considerate, she's the type of person you can watch and want to be like when you grow up--not just as a dancer, but as a human being. 

And that is what truly matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment