Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The final bow of Nutcracker 2015

Sunday marked our final show of The Nutcracker for our 2015 season.

Cue tears.

For some reason, after Saturday's show, I felt so good about going into Sunday. I didn't know why, but my confidence was soaring. I guess maybe I finally felt confident in what I was doing--possibly because I had done it before already?--or maybe it was because it was the last show. I don't know.

At warm up, the day started off well when I saw my favorite teacher, Ms. Lori. She moved to Austin and teaches up there, but came down to see us on Saturday and Sunday. She is so freaking wonderful; the type of person you can hope to be. She really teaches in a way where you learn something every class, and meets you where you are but doesn't leave you there. You're better after being with her.

Warm-up also started off really well, particularly due to the freaking awesome Rat Queen/Maid presents a la Andie.




We all wore them during warm-up, and Jessica and I proceeded to zoom around like we were superman.
It was so much fun, and really helped me to keep up my moral, and not give up from feeling sick.
(Why is that so common on show days?)

Julie did our warm-up, which included a really good stretch. Mariela and the fellow Insteppers and I know it as the Joffrey Stretch, but they call it something else. As we did it, (bring the leg up to passe, grab the heel and extend out, bring it out to second and get a good stretch) a few girls at the barre next to me all freaked out at the same time over how high my leg was. It was really funny. Their eyes got really big and they said things like, "Dang, Emilee!" I didn't really realize how high it was until they commented. It felt so good, and really shocked me, because it was really high.
Later, we did grand battements in center, and again my leg decided that was the day to go super high. I was able to maintain control and turn out while doing this as well. It felt really good.
Turns sucked, but I laughed about it. Jetes were really fun since we were wearing capes; it made us look like we were flying.

I got ready for the show and came downstairs with my camera, as usual. Jessica and I had our capes on to get pictures in costume (see above.) Ms. Munro saw us and asked me, "Are you wearing that on stage?"
I looked at her, because she didn't say it like, "You're not wearing that on stage, are you?" But rather like someone had a really good suggestion and we just hadn't told her yet or something. I looked at her and asked, "I mean, can I?" She commented on how cute it was and said she thought it would be great and, "Let's ask Alex!" Mrs. Alex came over and Ms. Munro asked her, to which she said, "I think it's cute, and it goes with the costume. I don't see why not!" 

I GOT TO WEAR THE CAPE.

Now I felt really empowered. Like a security blanket of sorts. No matter what happened on stage, I was wearing a cape and therefore immune to disaster. 
Jessica helped me pin it so it wouldn't fall off in partnering, just in case, but we had to pin it over the Rat head. This made things a bit tight, but it worked. The partnering bit went alright, I probably could have been a bit more solid, but Sean is a rockstar and makes me look so good. 
My shoe came off in the jetes again, but my ribbons were tied well (thanks Elizabeth) so the shoe just came off the heel and stayed on enough to get through. 



(Lillian got these gems of the incident.)
(Thanks Lillian :) )
I didn't forget anything, and was even able to grab the cannon ball, which I heard Ms. Munro praise from the wings. This made me feel really good and like I actually succeeded in the role, rather than just merely getting by. 
When we finished, Ms. Munro commented on how good the cape looked on stage. I said, "it made me feel like I could fly in my jetes!" To which she responded, "You did fly!" 
My eyes went something like this O.O
My mind is blown. I never expected her to say that. ahh!!
After the scene ended, we stayed in costume to get pictures with my sweet mouse, Addison, and my rat family




Colin had to go to the bathroom, so he missed the family portrait.
It's funny how you can tell which rat is which, even with heads on.
Addison was the mouse we picked up and carried. She is an absolute sweetheart!

It was really difficult coming off stage and not being able to take the head off and breathe. Remember, the cape was safety pinned over the head, so I had to keep myself from panicking at the fact I couldn't get air. Greyson saved me, though, after a few minutes. All was well.
(definitely worth it.)

The rest of the show went smoothly, except it seemed to be the day everyone slipped. A Chinese, our Sugar Plum, even Clara, mostly in the the same spot on the stage. They recovered extremely well, though, and no one remembered it even happened. Signs of a true professional.

Flowers went well, also. I was able to get nail the corrections I had been given, and Isabel and I got the timing right on the finale, so I felt really successful overall.
















(I can't remember how to get this to rotate, but my sister took it from the audience :D )

I don't know exactly what it was about this season, but now that it's over, my heart feels so extremely full from having lived it.
I wouldn't have expected this in the beginning, seeing how there seemed to be more drama than usual and everyone kept getting sick and hurt. But it turned out to be one of my absolute favorite memories.

It's probably due largely to the people.
I have realized, now more than ever, that I have such wonderful, incredible people in my life.
Those that encourage me, celebrate with me, listen to me vent. Those that are kind and loving and fun. They make this experience something I cherish. Without them, it would just be us going through the motions.
Dance friends really are the best friends, and basking in this after show glow is my favorite thing right now. My fellow dancers are what make this what it is. From the youngest cherub to the oldest company member, I couldn't be more grateful. 
It's also heart warming to have friends who support you and come to watch. 
I wish I could express what it means, but words fail me.
My heart is so full.


Now, friendship isn't about gifts, but I did receive some from cherished friends that really hit my heart. Every single one of them means more to me than I could ever say. They really didn't have to do that, yet they took the time out to think of me and choose to do something for me to make me feel special. And it did. It really did.

What a wonderful season of memories, growth, and hard work.

Until next year!







No comments:

Post a Comment