Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Oh, here's some new stuff! (and pictures!)

We had an event for the Nutcracker on Saturday where some of us dressed up in costume and did a story time, inviting people to come to the shows. Barnes and Noble gave a portion of the profits to the company if the customers mentioned us at check out. Cool, huh?
Going as Rat Queen terrified half the children and intrigued the other.
There was this one little girls, couldn't be older than two, who was completely taken with the Rat Queen. She was my absolute favorite thing, I wish there were a way to get a copy of the pictures from her mom! Haha. I don't know how the Disney Characters do it, since they aren't allowed to take any pictures.
I also saw one of my favorite little dancers from my old studio, Noelia, whime I hadn't seen since our last recital at Instep. I took off my head and her mom remembered me and Noelia did after a bit. It made me so happy. She is dancing at Ballet Academy, which I'm glad to hear that she's still dancing. She absolutely beautiful and incredibly talented, not to mention such a sweet girl.
There were two different times for the Nutcracker story time. Jessica was gracious to let me have the first slot so I could be done in time for a photo shoot (that got rained out, unfortunately) so I gave her the suit for the second part. It was such a fun time.

We had a local promotional event at the Lighting of Lamar Park here locally, and I got to be the Rat Queen for it, as well. (Which is fab since it's cold outside and the Rat Queen costume is nice and warm) My dear, sweet Ayla was there as the mouse, so we walked around a bit together. It was quite the hit, seeing the "big mouse and little mouse." I even made one girl scream when she commented on Ayla's costume and I turned around to see her and she wasn't expecting it. It was pretty hilarious.
Surprisingly, less were afraid of me than weren't. I took tons of pictures with kids and sometimes other characters as well. We passed out candy canes and having the giant head sure did make it easier to give face to the local news station reporters.
I saw another one of my babies from Instep, the other one I had yet to see that I missed to terribly. Isabella was there with her Mom and Brother, and I introduced myself before taking off my head to talk to them. Her Mom was thrilled to see me, and remembered me right away. Isabella took a second, I'm sure also taking in the fact that there was a human in this rat suit, haha. Her Mom told me she hadn't been dancing since Instep closed and I told her about Munro and the classes there. I told her about the class I assist and to check it out and that Mia was the teacher and the times and all. She was so pumped. I really hope to see Isabella at the studio!

I also got to see my friends Ryan and Lauren, who had a table set up with their two books they've put out recently. One is a book of photography and the other is a children's book; both incredible.
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/1943842116/ref=cm_sw_su_dp)
They have been really dear to my heart and also such good, cherished friends to me over the years. I love seeing them and seeing how God is using them to make a difference in the world.


I got to hold on to the costume from Sunday until the event on Tuesday. I realized Sunday night that the Black Swan tutu is part of the Rat Queen costume and that it was in my closet. I text my sister and asked if she could get some pictures of me in it on Monday, and she graciously obliged. 













                                                   
So that was fun.
The costume was a little big, since I'm not wearing the giant rat suit underneath, but we made it work. I really like how they came out, and I'm glad to have these for if one day I can't dance anymore. Plus, I think it was good for me to see that I don't look like the image in my head while in a real tutu. (this is just me being real, here. My story, I can say it if I want.)
Obviously, there's a few "bloopers" or whatever. My dad's German Shepherd was chasing my cat who decided to saunter over to us. They also decided that right behind us is the perfect place to do this chase. Hah

My Achilles has been hurting, especially since this last cold front came through. I asked Ms. Heidi what I should do about it, and she showed me some different things to do to help it. Sometimes stretching it can make it worse. I was glad she said that, because that's what I was feeling, but didn't have any proof of it and didn't know what else to do. Hopefully it'll start feeling better. It is fine when I don't dance, even in the interim. Between steps and combinations. 
My ankles were really weak before dancing. I used to hurt it just by stepping on it wrong, but I could never figure out what was "wrong" exactly. I hadn't felt it in a while, but when landing a grand jete at rehearsal, I found it again, and my ankle--and Achilles--started hurting. It pops quite often as well. 

I woke up this morning to a text from my cousin. It was pictures of her double jointed fingers, asking if I can do the same. I told her I can, and sometimes in different ways, and told her how I can't point straight because my fingers curve and how my knees and elbows hyper extend. She told me that she was diagnosed with hypermobility. That it's genetic, and can actually cause gastrointestinal issues. 
Bingo.

It's been quite a day of learning and discovering. 
I've learned much over the last few weeks, having more time to myself. I wish I could have written more before I hardly have any time at all. 
New things, and I'm sure they'll be good--just different. I feel good about them, a bit nervous. 
I'm sure it'll be good. 

It already has been. 

No comments:

Post a Comment