Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Friday, April 10, 2015

Center yourself.

Ms. Lori is just one of the greatest humans on the planet.
So forgive me if I talk about her too much.

In yesterday's class, Ms. Lori had us do a few combinations at the barre, then hold releve passe (or a couple different positions as well) and take a second to close our eyes while we held it, then open them to finish.
We did it, and it was weird. (I have this thing where if I close my eyes, I can be completely fine, but I'll start to second-guess my balance and throw myself off if I don't open them before too long. It was fun to challenge that.)

But she had a good pointe

She asked us if we felt different when we were on stage. The lights, the vastness of it, all the things that were different--did that make us nervous? Does it shake us up?
She wanted us to close our eyes. To find a way to center ourselves, no matter what is going on around us. That even if the world was shaking, we could still remain composed and not let it shake us.

Ms. Lori always has such great analogies and wisdom.
And the girls in this class really soak it up.
And it shows.

To say I'm grateful would be a vast understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment