Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Wizard of Oz

I'm just now realizing that I haven't written about this weekends shows at all.

So much has happened and there is much to say, but I fear I won't have the words to get out all I want to.

Saturday started in a bit of a tizzy. One of the hardest working dancers in the entire company ended up having to have emergency surgery to have her appendix out the morning of the first show. As soon as I found out I actually cried; she was one of the few to be there every single rehearsal and is so very competent and just so talented. Not to mention that she is such a joy to watch. It shattered my heart to know that she had to miss out on the very thing she has worked all these months for, just hours before showtime.

The Poppies and the Emeralds had to have an emergency rehearsal to show the Poppy the dance and the two Emeralds that would be trading it their part.

The show went well enough. One of the Winkies ended up pretty frazzled from the first act all the way until curtain. So much so that she was going to get to be one of five to get to give flowers to the principals, but she was freaking out too much. I ended up getting to do it, which was really special for me because I got to give them to Glinda, who is played by one of my friends. The Winkie they originally told to do it asked to switch because she knew it would be special for me. Such a big heart for such a small girl. I am beyond grateful.

The Winkie Guard mom was unavailable, so they asked me to fill in. Before that, I was running around getting everyone to sign the letters O and Z in both red and green to give to Mrs. Julie and Ms. Munro (which I forgot to get pictures of) as well as my incorrect-sized shirt. Apparently one of the mom's in charge was panicking because she couldn't find me to ask me to help out with this, but we found each other in good time and it was okay. The girls are great. They call me Mom which is hilarious, but also rather convenient. I did the make-up for one of the girls whose Mom couldn't be there (she's eleven) to help her out. Apparently she only trusted me to do it. She's one of the quieter ones (well, in front of people. Not if you really know her) so this made me feel awesome. Hehe.

As a whole, the show went really well. The girls did great and went over the parts we had gotten the most corrections on.
All the Crows were there, so I didn't dance it, but people thought I did. Including my Mom. She was convinced it was me. It made me laugh.

Today's show was even better.
Before we went on, Mrs. Julie came up to watch the Poppies from this door in our dressing room that lead to the lights up above the audience. She wanted to watch from the balcony, but they had locked the doors so she came up here instead. She let me stand on the little ledge with her and get pictures, which was really amazing. Such a great opportunity. Such an interesting perspective of the stage


The pictures came out amazing. My heart was exploding to know I had these to give to the girls, especially since I don't typically get to watch poppies and that I didn't get to shoot as much this show since Winkie Guards was on stage so much. Plus, Annika was rocking it and the poor girl was in so much pain. You would have never guessed it. 

I was giving Ms. Munro her signed letters in the costume room and lacing up my boots when Mrs. Jane came over and hugged me. I seriously could never express how wonderful she is and what she has done for me simply by being the sweet lady she is. I cry thinking of it. So simple, yet so profound. By that point, Ms. Munro had gone backstage, and came rushing back in saying, "Emilee, they're waiting for you on stage! Grab your bow!"

Oh shoot, yeah, dancing, I should do that!
I run in, grab my bow, and get my keester on stage when everyone lets out a collective, "there you are!" and I hear my friend Abby (the Wicked Witch) whisper from her caped throne, "Don't you scare me like that again!!" I couldn't help but giggle. 
I love this place. I love these people. How wonderful to be getting to spend my days doing the thing I love the most with people who like having me there. My heart was so full.
Music begins.
Curtain comes up.
"Look mad, Emilee. Stop looking so happy!" which made me laugh inside. 

The girls did everything the best we've ever done. To say I was proud is an understatement. There was even a point when they were a little early on a bit, but they realized it and got back in time to the music and it took everything in me to keep my face fierce. But we did the whole show and it seemed to be done in a blink. As the finale was finishing with the emeralds and characters, I whispered to the Winkie Guards on my side, "Just take it in. This moment will never happen again. We'll never have this sight again." They asked what I meant and I said, "We will never have these roles in this show with these people ever again. Just take it in. It's a beautiful sight."
Apparently they took what I said to heart, because one of them quoted it later. 

I love these girls.

A bunch of my friends came to the shows, including about half my old studio, (old teacher included!) my mom and sister, my best friend, co worker, and a couple old friends. It was wonderful. 

Lucy and I went to get pizza afterwards which was probably the best decision of the entire night. She's gonna try and go by and see Mari tomorrow and see how she's doing. 

One of my favorite things of the whole show was the second dress rehearsal when we were all watching from the audience when suddenly our music starts playing and you see all the Winkie Guards and Monkeys rushing to the stage. Our bows got tangled so I was a little late on stage but you couldn't tell cause the lights weren't up yet. It was hysterical. 

Overall, this show has been one of my favorite things I have done in my entire life. 
To be surrounded by people who actually love me for who I am, not just for what I can do for them or the convenience of me being there, but because they value me as a person--just as I am--I'm not used to that, and it's something I would love to get used to. I found myself crying at the thought of it. Each person touches my heart in ways I can't find words for. It sustains me when things get really difficult and life gets stressful and crushes my spirit. I can "find my happy place" which will be the memories of these days.

These are the best days of my life.

(And now, some pictures. I will never take enough.)

some of my "babies"

Annika, with a pinched nerve, still flawless

Poppies



Closing of the First Act



The Wicked Witch is wicked

Andie and I :)

The Wizard.
He worked at my high school. I want to be like him when I grow up

My monkey! I love her


Annika :)

And Lillian!

The characters!

Sweet Judy and Butter, who was our fabulous Toto

The principal ladies with Julie

Julie and I



Instep!


Kristin and Jess!



"Everybody huddle up!"





Elizabeth and I


Abby, Elizabeth and I.


"The only copy of the picture I took is forever in my memory."


Instep por vida!


Sarah and Liz, my #1 fans


Sweet Muneca


COUSIN


My mom and sister



No comments:

Post a Comment