Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Friday, April 17, 2015

Yesterday. (ooey gooey feelys)

Yesterday was the first class I was ever able to do completely en pointe.

Now, I may have done this at Instep, but I don't remember if I ever made it all the way through. Usually my toes would hurt so badly that I could never actually get through the steps I needed to. I remember it being very discouraging.

Yesterday was encouraging.
It was stability and compliments.
It was hope and sore feet and feeling like I was doing something right for once.
It was trying harder and doing more and pushing limits.

Yesterday was nothing special, but it was everything.

I found myself standing by myself at the smaller barre along the short wall, really taking in everything around me. These girls, all in the same place at the same barres they always stand at, pressing themselves harder than normal, focusing on their technique. Ms. Lori, leading us along in this endeavor to become our best. She kept saying things like, "Don't let this get to your head, but people are watching this class." and I would laugh inside that she opened with the preface she did, because out of this whole class, maybe one may let it go to her head, but maybe not. Mostly these girls are fueled by hope and ambition, striving to be their best and oblivious to the fact that they're already better than the next level above them for the most part. One of the girls said, "I know why. It's because you're our teacher."
I couldn't have said it better.

And I stood back (metaphor) and for the first time, I saw these girls as competition.
They aren't just the "cute little ones" anymore. These girls are biting at my heels, some surpassing me. They will get roles I will probably never be able to get. Maybe simply because I am too old, but maybe because they're better.
These girls are dedicated. You tell them to jump and they leap. You tell them to try and they succeed.
No one has let them in on the secret the world is keeping that you're supposed to be afraid. And honestly, I hope no one ever does. These girls are capable of so much. The world is theirs for the taking, and they're taking it.
And honestly, I can't wait to see where they go. I'm excited to see what the next audition holds for them. We have six Clara's in their class, easy, if not more. They're so good. And the last thing in their head is to let it make them proud.
I'm literally brought to tears at the thought of it. At the thought that I get to be a part of this class. That this doesn't just end when we finish with IV's. That I get to go with these girls on to the V's class. It challenges me to work hard so I can keep pace with them, and encourages me that if they can do it I can, too. They may think I'm there to encourage them, but really they're encouraging me.

We got our recital costumes yesterday. I wish I would have taken a picture of the Polaroid, because it's perfect. The colors are absolutely stunning and the way it flows on stage takes your breathe away. It brought Ms. Lori to tears when we ran the piece, and you could see the girls take pride in themselves as they danced. (not the negative, head-hawty pride, but the kind that brings a feeling of adrenaline-inducing accomplishment.) They all loved the head pieces, too, which made me feel really good.
They smile more. The ones that were in their shell at the start of the year are opening up, and the "popular" girls are accepting of everyone. Gah, I love it.

Ms. Munro came in at one point and was really impressed with what she saw. She even said, in hushed tones, "I really think this is the best dance of the whole recital."
What an honor to get to be a part of something so special.


Allison took this of my feet after class.
It's nice to see that you've improved. That all your work wasn't for nothing. That you're not as bad as your brain would have you believe. I still have a long way to go, but I'll get there. If I can get here, I'll get there.


This is me with Nina. One of my many babies in the class. She calls me Mom :)

This year has literally been the best. And it's not over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment