Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

progress

It feels really good when you're in a class with dancers more advanced than you and you are able to keep up.
Usually I struggle.
Usually I get the concept, but not the full combination.
Usually I mess up direction or can't even attempt the arms.

And, sure, there were a few times I messed up the arms or forgot to do the exact arms asked, but for the most part I kept up. I was able to pay attention not just to doing the step, but to the artistry of it. I was able to hold the balance and promenade without dropping the leg or falling out of it completely.
Granted, I was on flat shoes, and it would have been a bit more difficult en pointe, but I was able to do it in flats and work on the artistry rather than struggling with just getting through it on pointe. But even so, to know that I wouldn't have been way over my head on pointe either was a really nice fact.

I finally feel like I'm growing, and it's a really nice feeling.

It's been storming here all last night and today. I almost didn't make it to work and part of me wishes I would have come. (darn needing money.) But I think it's cleared up enough to still make today's class, so I am very excited about this. I had to miss last week because of my back, but I really want to be there.

Dance is the best thing in my life right now. This weekend left me in a state of euphoria, making coming back to reality really difficult. I can only hope that one day my life will be filled with things that leave me euphoric, and not things that shoot me down and stress me sick (especially when it can be avoidable. I get that life isn't perfect, I'm not asking for it to be. I'm just asking to not have to subject myself to pointless abuse.)

3 cheers for dance

No comments:

Post a Comment