Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

"I can stay."

I think my shoes are dead, but I don't have time to sew new ones. I might figure out time somehow. I guess I kind of have to, huh?
Yesterday was our V's class, which I really like, but it was a bit of a struggle. My pirouettes are still lacking and our teacher was getting onto us for them. She said we should be able to do doubles at this level. I struggle to even do doubles on flat, let along en pointe. I know most of my issue is my knee and back problems, and I'm working to try and improve, but it takes more time than I wish it would. Still, I'm seeing slight improvement, so that's something I guess. I really need to get into my new shoes so I'm not afraid of rolling my ankle. Yesterday it was more that I landed hard and felt the weak spot my ankles have had for as long as I can remember. I haven't felt it in a few years, so it was a bit of a shock. (It's okay though.)
My knee held out and I was able to do everything else. My main issue is the unevenness of my legs and the lacking strength in the left. Siiiiiiiiiiigh.
Class ended and I put on my shoes to leave when one of my "babies" wanted me to watch her do something in the Jazz class. I did, then Heidi asked if I was going to stay. I told her not yet and as soon as I said it I thought, "But you know, I'm probably okay enough to stay." So I watched what they were working on as they marked it. There were only five girls and it needed a sixth, so I asked Heidi, "Do you need another person? I can stay."
I've been wanting to stay for this class. I know it's not everyone's favorite, but I do love how it makes me feel. I'm not overwhelmed. I'm not in someone's shadow. I'm not the obvious beginner. I'm just me, and that's enough.
I am challenged, though, which I appreciate. Just enough of a challenge. Plus, it's all new to me, but it's a new I've been wanting to experience for a while. The dance we did yesterday was the kind that makes you feel something. It wasn't overly complex, though there were elements I struggled with. What I like about how Heidi handles this class is that if you can't do something, you do what you can. She doesn't pressure you into pushing for more if you know you can't. It's more about getting out of your comfort zone.

I think I'm gonna try and start staying, now that my stomach is doing alright. I hope to get more figured out with my back and knee so I can do even more. One thing is for sure--I was really grateful to get to take that class and just let myself feel and show it through movement.

I have many other thoughts from yesterday, but I'm going to keep them for myself.


My friend Amelia took this while I was putting on my shoes yesterday. It may seem simple, but it really means a lot to me. So many times I'm the one taking pictures of other people and no one really does that for me. Not that they have to, not at all, but it kinda weighs on the heart when you look through these great pictures and these candids and you're in none of them. But it's not really something you can just ask someone else to do and hand over your camera. There's something special that is caught in an unexpected moment. Amelia did that for me, and I treasure it.

No comments:

Post a Comment