Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Personal.

I've been having a pretty rough time in some things in my personal life, which hasn't had too much of an effect on dance, thankfully, but yesterday took the cake.

I can't tell you how grateful I am to be in the studio I am.
I had a panic attack during the day, and then the entire drive to the studio. (Hi, being real with y'all.) It was so bad that I knew I wouldn't be able to sit in the foyer with the kids without questions. I couldn't act happy to get through like I usually do. I couldn't fake this. I was too broken. Instead, I went and sat in the office. I walked in and Ms. Munro and Mrs. Alex were there. I told them I just wanted to hide out until class and they looked concerned. They asked what happened and I couldn't speak because the tears wouldn't go away from my throat and I had to just sit there for a second. I managed to get it out and cried a little and told Mrs. Alex if I just randomly broke down in her class this was why.

I considered not going to dance at all, but I knew I wanted to be there. This is the day I really needed to go. I wanted to pound my feet into the floor rhythmically, and tap was the perfect solution to that. I was able to be composed enough to play it off (well enough at least) in tap and having the moves to focus on was a great distraction. We worked on this one thing that's a Moxie Ford with an extra beat. I didn't it once, and then couldn't seem to get it again. If I thought about it, I couldn't do it. It was frustrating. I realized I was on the brink of another panic attack, I guess perpetually, so I had to calm myself down without anyone knowing. Thankfully, it's tap class, so stomping into the ground is encouraged. Throughout the class I started sort of grasping the concept of the extra step, but I still can't seem to connect it. I'll get it eventually. I really want to get better at tap. I like it. I wish I had more time outside of class to work on stuff to improve.

Mrs. Alex's class went well. Barre felt really good, even if it didn't at the time. Does that make sense? She pushed us out of our comfort zone, which was great. She showed me how to make my arms more fluid, which I really appreciate because I've wondered what's the correct way to do it versus which will make my arms look lazy and flat. I'm really gonna be working on implementing that.
My toes hurt in pointe, but part of it was that I had worked them so much the day before and they were still a bit raw. Another part was that I put that hole in my toe pad, so they were almost irrelevant. (Except for the space they take up in the shoe that I need.) I have new toe pads waiting for me in the mail, so I should be okay by next class. (If I have time to sew my shoes.)
I struggled across the floor. We did things in center that were new and semi-difficult, and I was able to attempt them, so that was nice. I didn't do it full out since I'm not 100% sure how okay my knee is right now, but I grasped the concept and I tried. Across the floor I started to feel overwhelmed again. Mrs. Alex was kind and didn't call me out on it or anything. I really appreciated Adrienne. Everyone else was either struggling just as much, or working on it themselves or whatever. There was one part that was simple, yet I couldn't grasp it. I didn't even mark it because I didn't understand it so I watched to try and figure it out. I was considering not even trying it. Adrienne figured out how to do it, then took the time to come back and explain it to me. She gave me the boost I needed to feel confident enough to try it. She has no idea how much I appreciate that. (And because I'm a sensitive mess right now, I'm crying just remembering her kindness.) (so that's cute.)
The last thing we did across the floor, I just couldn't get. It was simple enough, but a bit too fast for me. It involved pique turns, which I had worked on the day before, but knew I wasn't fast enough for what it required. I tried it to the right, but to the left I didn't. I took off my shoes. I almost panicked after the time I did try, because I'm all on edge and all, so I went into the corner and just tried to breathe. A few of the girls asked if I was okay, and I just nodded. I couldn't hid it. But I know I'll be okay eventually.

Mrs. Rowland told me that I looked really beautiful in class today. Which shocked me with how rough I was feeling. But I appreciate her words. And her constant support. I love that whole family.

I can't express how much I appreciate the kindness of my peers. They don't have to be nice to me. They can leave me to figure things out for myself if they wanted. A lot of dancers would. A lot of dance teachers wouldn't let you sit and cry in the office about things no one has control over. Mine are patient with me, and understanding. They don't look down on me because I'm overwhelmed, they support me.

I wish I had taken a picture on my phone of the polaroid from last night. It's golden.

I'm skipping dance tonight. One of the dance mom's asked me to take her daughter to So You Think You Can Dance in San Antonio since she had surgery recently and can't. I'm really excited. I didn't think I'd get to go again, but it worked out. I'll get home late and more than likely be dead tired, but it'll be worth it. Plus to get to hang out with Judy will be really fun.

So if you're the praying type, please be praying for me. I trust God completely and I know whatever is ahead for me is well worth what I'm going through now. I just need to be able to get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment