Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Everything I need to know about life, I learned in dance class

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Performance #2

I was a little nervous going into Sunday's performance that Saturday's was a one-and-done type of thing. That it happened and couldn't be replicated. Thankfully, that wasn't the case.

Warm up started us off, and for some reason my body decided it was the prime time to revolt. My stomach turned throughout the entire half hour, requiring me to awkwardly sit out many of the warm ups, especially if they involved excessive use of the abs. Thankfully, no one really asked questions, but people did stare a bit.
I made it through and did what I could. I did the turn combination with some of the more advanced girls (granted, they did multiple turns, and I kept it safe with a solid one. It's warm up, whatever.)

I think our first performance was stronger, but number two was also a solid one. Once again, I managed the turn, and felt really good going in to the second half of the segment.

Until the music stopped.

What do we do? Do we keep going? Do we wait for it to come back? Theater in me says keep going, but what if we do and it comes back on? Then we're off, and it's not just me.

We all kind of waited in a moment of hesitation to decide, when it came back on. We managed to keep on time and go with the flow, and by the end of it no one seemed to remember. But still, talk about moment of panic!

The finale was a mess. I still suck at chaines turns, and almost ran into the Arabian Principal dancer. Not one of my finer moments. Whatever.

And seeing pictures of me during performance, I'm kind of cringing (not yours, Lillian. Yours are good :D) because I fear my technique isn't as good as I tell myself it is in my head.
So. I want to try harder this next week. My old dance teacher will be out there and I want to have straight knees and lift up out of my shoe and not compromise because of nerves. I want to be better.

Yesterday was the first day I hadn't danced in a week, and it was very sad. I love getting to do ballet every day during Nutcracker season, and have already seen improvement. I want that trend to continue, not lose it all because we don't have class for a couple weeks.

Now I'm back to the reality that I work a full time job that is completely opposite of ballet. And it's sad. But oh well, I guess. I'm just happy that I still get to dance when I do. How awesome is it, right?

Here's some pictures, finally:


Annika and I back stage after the first performance


Ashley, the Clara on the first night.


Pre-show on Sunday. (Like. seriously. How awesome is this?)


Cheyenne, the Clara on the second night


Mr. Nutcracker, himself.


My friend's daughters that came to see the show, dancing like what they saw on stage. (I mean, melt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment